Monday, September 6, 2010

thesis v1.1.1

I could write something here to fulfill the assignment, but it would be BS. I kinda forgot about this blog post until recently, and since I'm not going until Thursday, I'm gonna take the extra day to gather my thoughts.

I want to read more landscape theory because frankly, I know every little and from what I know, this thesis should be based in theory and use architecture to test that theory, right?

I've looked at Maya Lin this weekend. Her work always fascinated me because she won a renowned competition as a senior architecture student at Yale. I love the simplicity in her work. She describes it as an art work often. I wouldn't categorize most of her projects as architecture, either. I know it is bad to think about thesis this way, but in the end, I want my final project to be simple and as powerful as Maya Lin's work. But how do you begin to design something like that?

I know what she's influenced by, but how do you take influences and turn them into research? (After Omer's lecture, I guess I know where to start--more books from the library until the topics are exhausted....)

I know the city my project will be located in-- Barcelona. As a country, Spain has seen its share of dictatorship, fighting, and cultural disputes. (Franco is such a touchy subject!) Public space is also very important to the city. (The city is so densely populated!)
So I want my thesis to focus on those things:
-public space
-memory of the past
-yet being able to move on towards the future... Progress!

Where to go from here....
thoughts welcomed. reading material suggestions encouraged.

1 comment:

  1. I think the challenge with many public spaces is its universality, which means how can one place be meaningful to many others. Maya Lin's war memorial is an example of a design for a specific group of people. I don't I can ever appreciate it in the same way war veterans experience it with intense psychological effect.

    Public spaces around the world are like diaries of a country and of its people: revolution, celebration, mourning ...
    I really like the direction of your thesis. My countries Tian An Men square immediate jumps into my mind to be an interesting place to look at in its history and emotional impact on its nationals.

    check it out:
    http://www.google.com/images?q=tian+an+men+square&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1023&bih=777

    ReplyDelete